20 November 2014

Author Q&A Session #4: With Kwei Quartey

Today in an all new session, we have the man behind the greatest and incredibly thrilling novels of Darko Dawson series which are all based in a not so explored land called Ghana. Kwei Quartey is the author of  Wife of the God Children of the Street and  Murder at Cape Three Points and many other tasteful and intriguing novels. We are all so glad to have him between us for a little chat. So what are you waiting for, scroll down to know more about Kwei Quartey. 

Read the review of the book, Murder at Cape Three Points, here


 
Me: Hello Kwei, and welcome to my blog. And congratulations on your new book, Murder at Cape Three Points. Please tell us briefly about your latest book.

Kwei: Detective Darko Dawson investigates a bizarre murder of a man and his wife who were pillars of society in an up-and-coming city on Ghana’s coast, where offshore oil has been discovered at Cape Three Points. Bitter family feuds, petroleum greed, angry fishermen and zealous environmentalists make up a very full list of suspects.  

Me: You're a very successful doctor- a physician right? And doctors have to take the oath that no matter what their patients lives comes before anything, so how do you abide by this rule, when apart from your patients, you've some thrilling and intriguing stories to create? I mean how do you juggle being successful at both the things?


Kwei: I compartmentalize the two. My schedule and practice is such that it doesn’t suffer as a result of my writing. It means I have to manage my time efficiently. Many physician writers have existed through time: Anton Chekhov, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Michael Crighton, Robin Cook, Khaled Hosseini are a few examples.

Me: You're  a successful author having been awarded as the Best Male Author in Los Angeles by  G.O.G. National Book Club. How do feel about being an author? Are there any perks apart from writing and creating your own stories?

Kwei: I love being a writer, but awards don’t mean much as much to me as the satisfaction I get from people reading my books.

Me: I only read the Murder at Cape Three Points book. But your other books are also based on various locations of Ghana. So do you travel extensively for the purpose of research for your plots?

Kwei: The other novels, Wife of the Gods, and Children of the Street, are also set in Ghana. I always travel to the locations in Ghana where my books are set so I can see the local color for myself and observe life as it exists there.


Me: In the last book, you've taken your readers to a city in Ghana. But right now you are living in California and have been living there for quite a long time. So what made you craft this tale, Murder at Cape Three Points with such vividness? It's like you took your readers on a trip to Cape Three Points to solve a murder mystery?

Kwei: I grew up in Ghana and it’s more meaningful for me to set my stories there instead of where I live now. I try to show readers the scenery rather than describe. It’s not always easy and I don’t think I always succeed.

Me: Who or what's the inspiration behind your protagonist, Darko Dawson?

Kwei: He’s probably a combination of many different people I have known, perhaps a bit of me in him as well, but he’s loyal to the things that matter to him the most: his family, and bringing murderers to justice.

Me: In that book, you've written about so much political instability and corruption in Ghana. Is that true? How did you get all the insider's story behind all those political turmoil?


Kwei: There’s plenty I can get online, in the newspapers and from talking to people who are highly placed in government or trade. Some things in the book are taken from real occurrences, others are made up.

Me: You're days are full with patients, taking care of them and also writing some great novels. Do you even get time to unwind yourself at the end of the day? And even if you do, how do you relax your mind?

Kwei: Yes, I have enough time to unwind. Thank goodness for Netflix.


Me: What's next up on your writing sleeves? Please tell us briefly about it.

Kwei: My next Darko Dawson novel is GOLD OF THE FATHERS, in which Darko investigates the death of an illegal Chinese miner in Ghana, where thousands of Chinese people have been arriving to engage in illicit alluvial gold mining. I think there’s a bit more action and suspense in this one compared to the first three.

Me: Thank you so much for sparing time for me to have an Author Q&A Session on my blog. I'm really grateful to you for your generosity. I can only wish you all the best in all your future endeavors.

Kwei: Thank you. I very much appreciate your interest, and hope your readers will give my novels a try.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 Kwei's Bio:

Kwei Quartey is a crime fiction writer and physician living in Pasadena, California. Having practiced medicine for more than 20 years while simultaneously working as a writer, he has attained noteworthy achievements in both fields. Dr. Quartey balances the two professions by dedicating the early morning hours to writing before beginning a day in his clinic. 
Kwei Quartey attended medical school at Howard University in Washington, D.C. In 1990, he began practicing medicine in California with HealthCare Partners. Dr. Quartey later founded the facility's wound care center while working as an urgent care physician. 
As a crime fiction writer, Kwei Quartey made the Los Angeles Times Bestseller List in 2009. The following year, the G.O.G. National Book Club awarded him the title of Best Male Author. Having published Wife of the Gods and Children of the Street, he is anticipating the release of a third novel in the series, Murder at Cape Three Points, in March 2014. Death at the Voyager Hotel, a mystery e-novella not belonging to the series, was published August 2013. Dr. Quartey is also a member of the Los Angeles chapter of Sisters in Crime, a fiction writers’ organization.

Connect With Kwei On:  Facebook | Twitter | Email

2 comments:

Thanks for your feedback!