6 November 2014

Review #61: Dark Winter: Crescent Moon by John Hennessy



My rating: 5 of 5 stars


“Fear doesn't shut you down; it wakes you up”
----Veronica Roth, Divergent

John Hennessy, an English YA novelist, has chosen horror/fear genre above all other genre to pen his incredibly spooky trilogy, Dark Winter. In his second book, Dark Winter: Crescent Moon, John has depicted Darwin's theory of evolution, "survival of the fittest and strongest". In The Wicca Circle, we are introduced with Romilly, the protagonist and her inner demons but are left with millions of questions, and in this new book, we get all the answers that we were looking for.

Warning: Be aware! This book is not meant for those with a weak/faint heart!

Synopsis:
Romilly has saved the people of Gorswood from the demons called Zeryths by protecting the Mirror of Souls, but her inner demons are reluctant to leave her alone, and with each passing day, they are growing more stronger, and making her hard to live in peace.

Toril has faced a strong humiliation, moreover the loss of her best-friend, Jacinta and her boyfriend, Troy, is making her grow stronger every day, because, her mind is now clouded with the word called 'vengeance' with the strongest evil character making Gorswood a living hell with its tantrums.
Bethany has bickering faith in her heart and as her nature always puts her friends before her, she is dead worried about Toril and Romilly and is scared that they might die while fighting with her own demons at the same time.
Looks like every pen is fighting their own war and in such a moment of crisis and haze of doubt, no one can certainly tell a friend from a foe. But the fear of evil is clawing at them and it's just a moment of time to see who will stand victorious among all of them.


After reading, while reading and when I started reading this book, I muttered to myself, "Why John Why!?!" . Yes, why does John has to choose horror/fear to depict a nice, beautiful story and turn it into something terrifying and Gothic? Each and every page sent a chill down to my bone and the whole story scared the s**t out of me! Literally! Sorry for using foul words. I mean this man knows how he can get inside the heads of his readers and mess with them.
First of all, I'd like to hats off for his strong narration and keeping it short, simple and seriously scary. From the first page itself, he made his characters raw, evil and Gothic, which have only one attribute- fear. His characters are also very live and strikingly portrayed, since most of the times, while reading; I had to look beyond my shoulder. Honestly, I never read any book where the fear cut deeper than the swords . His flawless and articulate writing style is what makes the plot groovier and thoroughly compelling. And also he knows how to twist his plot with a little bit of edginess. Each and every twist shocked me to hell. I couldn't even anticipate correctly what was waiting for me in the very next chapter. And the last chapter is the treasure of the whole book, although, I was getting a hint that something like that would happen, but I never expected Toril and Beth in such demeanor. And there John spun me completely out of control, although he did left us with a huge, massive cliffhanger that I can't wait to find out in his next book.
The book's so scary that now I'll have to wait for few days before rubbing off my mind with those terrorizing and horrifying images of Gorswood and Don Curie that John flawlessly created in his book! Although the book was scary, still I found myself vouching for more and I completely stuck like glue to the whole story.

Only disappointment, the girl whom I loved the most, is now almost dying in an old cabin, and for that I hate you John!

Verdict: A must read trilogy and please guys read this whole series in broad daylight.

Courtesy: Thank you John for the book and for writing such a paralyzing novel that no one can fail to fall in love with. And I'll always remain indebted to you for your never-ending love, support and kind and grateful words. 
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author Info:
John Hennessy is a young adult / new adult novelist whose preferred writing genre is horror, and has authored the Dark Winter series as well as the fantasy epic Stormling. A huge fan of the paranormal, he will actively visit reported ghost haunts and it could be said that they served as inspiration for his debut fiction novel; Dark Winter: The Wicca Circle.Inbetween writing Book Two of the series, Dark Winter: Crescent Moon, he released the fantasy epic Stormling, which is the first book of the Mordana Chronicles.Autumn will see the release of the first Tale of Vampires, titled Murderous Little Darlings .
Visit him here


Book Purchase Links:

View all my reviews

1 comment:

Thanks for your feedback!