23 December 2014

Author Q&A Session #15: With Juliet M Sampson


Hello and welcome to another new session of Author Q&A and today I present you the author who captured her reader's hearts with her stories. Juliet M Sampson, is here to talk about book, career, life and passion. Read below to know more about this author.

Read the review of Bon Voyage!


         


    
       Me: Hello and Welcome to my blog, Juliet. Congratulations on your new book, Bon Voyage!, which is a huge hit among readers from all over the world. Please tell us briefly about the story Bon Voyage!.

Juliet: Bon Voyage! is a story about a young lady who travels to Europe for the first time.She has always dreamed of going to Paris and seeing the Eiffel Tower and decides to join a coach tour of young travelers across Europe.The group seems friendly and there are plenty of fun times but who is that shadowy figure in the background? Could someone be stalking Amanda? Themes in Bon Voyage! are adventure, mystery and romance.

Me: What inspired you to pen down a travelogue kind of story, Bon Voyage!?

Juliet: I love to travel and I have already visited more than 21 countries. However,there are so many more countries I wish to visit. My father is from Malta and when I have traveled I tend to go and visit family but in 2012 I decided to visit other places in Europe. This holiday inspired me to pen a travelogue story. I believe everyone should travel if they can. Traveling allows people to experience new places, cultures and meet new people. I also was of the opinion that there are not many books written for people who are traveling for the first time. Bon Voyage! introduces places to visit in Europe. It is a story for people who want to travel for the first time and also for people who have traveled and can relive their experiences in these places.

Me: Your protagonist, Amanda is a brave young girl, backpacking through Europe. Tell us one trait about her that intrigue you the most?

Juliet: Yes Amanda is a brave young girl who ventures out of her comfort zone. She has never traveled overseas by herself before and is about to board a coach tour with a group of strangers. Amanda is a young woman who does not follow the crowd so she can be accepted. She believes strongly in being herself.

Me: Did you also travel extensively like Amanda to portray her story with such vividness?

Juliet: Yes I did travel extensively like Amanda. Writing is my passion but I also like to travel and see and experience new destinations. I like to get a sense of time and place. Like Amanda I visited Germany, Spain and Switzerland. I rode on a gondola in Venice, visited The Louvre, Notre Dame and Monet’s garden just to name a few locations. These were amazing experiences that I will never forget. If you can travel you must.

Me: Please tell us about your first book, Behind the Mask and what inspired to write this book?

Juliet: Behind the Mask is a woman’s survival story about abusive love. The story is about a young woman who dreams of finding her Prince Charming and falls head over heels in love, only to discover early on that she has been completely deceived.  Themes in Behind the Mask are love, betrayal, abuse and freedom.

Abuse comes in many forms not just physical there is also emotional abuse. Behind the Mask was written to raise awareness about abusive love and to support people and help them to realize it is never too late to change their lives.

Me: How will you describe your journey as an author so far?

Juliet: Being an author is not an easy job. It takes a lot of hard work and commitment. At university I studied teaching and arts that allowed me to further my love of literature. In this course I undertook a subject in children’s literature. After teaching for many years I reduced my hours so I could dedicate more time to my writing. I wanted my words and voice to reach a larger audience. I dreamed of making a difference in many more peoples’ lives and connecting with others all around the world. I knew I would be able to do this through books.

My genre is contemporary realism. In 2008, I committed to writing my first young adult novel, Behind the Mask, which was published in 2011 by Brolga Publishing and is distributed by Pan Macmillan.After Behind the Mask was released I traveled to Europe. This trip inspired me to write my second novel Bon Voyage!which was published in 2013 by Brolga Publishing and is distributed by Pan Macmillan.

So far on my journey as an author, I have been fortunate to attend some well-known Australian author’s courses. These have included a Master Class with Bryce Courtenay who wrote 21 adult novels, a Master Class with Fiona McIntosh who has written 29 books and another course with Hazel Edwards author of 200 children’s books.

I have learnt so much from these inspirational Australian authors and feel
privileged to have attended their courses. Their courses helped me develop my writing skills and further inspired me to follow my dreams and keep writing.

I have just finished editing my third young adult novel with themes of mystery, murder, dance and romance. Now I am onto writing my fourth novel.

I have other writing projects I am working on that include children’s books and an inspirational book. I also have been writing some articles for magazines which I enjoy doing.

Me: What are your other passions apart from writing?

Juliet: My family and friends are very important to me. I am also passionate about teaching, voluntary work, helping others, traveling, dancing and chocolate. I love animals too. I used to have a pet dog and I am hoping to get another one in the near future. Oh and spreading positivity.

Me: What are you working on now? Please tell us briefly about it.

Juliet: I have just finished editing my third novel.What else am I planning?  I am always busy with my writing, researching and developing ideas.I am also happy to be taking part in a project/book that involves giving a little inspiration and hope to others facing challenges.
As well as this, I am working on two picture books.
You may ask what is my biggest source of inspiration in life.
I believe inspiration comes from everywhere.

Me: How do you get away from your stress and busy writing days?

Juliet: I am blessed in my life. I have a loving family and beautiful and supportive friends who I am surrounded by daily. These people support me and encourage me to follow my dreams. So when I am not writing, I am spending time with these people. I also love dancing and attend at least one dance class a week. Other activities I enjoy are walking, outings to the beach, coffee and cake, movies and live theater. Sometimes keeping life simple and appreciating the small things are the best.

Me: Thank You so much Juliet for sparing time to have this interview with me. I can only wish you luck in all your future endeavors.

Juliet: Thank you so much Aditi for this interview. It is a pleasure to work with you. All the best for 2015.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Juliet's Bio:


Juliet M Sampson is the author of best-seller Behind the Mask. Being a teacher she has always loved to share stories. Her second novel is Bon Voyage! Juliet was inspired to write this novel as she traveled the world visiting over twenty-one countries. She is currently writing her third novel. 

















Connect With Juliet On: Facebook | Twitter | Author Website | Goodreads | Email | Youtube
 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Aditi for the interview and giving me this opportunity to work with you. All the best for 2015. 'Spread sunshine and inspiration.' Juliet M Sampson

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback!