2 June 2016

Author Q&A Session #78: With Kit de Waal


Hello and welcome my fellow bookworms and followers,

Hope you're all having an amazing day and reading great books.
Well, folks, it's time for presenting y'all with another new author, yes, that's correct, it's time for Author Q&A Session, please put your hands together with a big round of applause for the award-winning debut author, Kit de Waal, whose book, My Name is Leon has already arrested the hearts and minds of so many readers across the globe.

So keep scrolling and keep reading as I discuss with this talent new author about her life as an author and about her books and many more exclusive stuffs.


Read the review of My Name is Leon


Me: Hello and welcome to my blog, Kit. Congratulations on your new book, My Name is Leon. How will you express your feelings about this  book that has already won the hearts of so many readers?
 
Kit:  I’m obviously delighted to have my novel published and that so many people have fallen in love with Leon already is wonderful.  I get lovely messages of support on Twitter and from the blog-sphere and it’s wonderful to be in touch with different readers from all over the world. 


Me: How did you research for your book that captures the adoption and foster care system of the eighties so vividly? Can you tell us briefly about it?
 
Kit:  I didn’t actually have to do much research as I worked in that area for many years and still sit on the Adoption Panel.  I was also 21 in 1981 so I can remember the events of the time very well.  I also used to have an allotment with a friend of mine and although our plot wasn’t as beautiful and productive as Tufty’s I do remember growing Scarlet Emperor runner beans and all the work that’s involved!


Me: Tell us one trait about your main character, Leon, that intrigues you the most.
 
Kit:  What I love about Leon is his determination.  He never forgets what he wants and he makes sure he reminds people about the fact that he has a brother.  He is also extremely loyal, even though he is so young he is faithful to Jake and to his mother even when people say bad things about her.


Me: How will you describe your journey so far as an author?
 
Kit:  My journey has been one of hard work and determination - a bit like Leon.  I was very focused when I writing the book and wrote it relatively quickly and edited it thoroughly.  I also worked very hard on my career before the novel, entering and winning short story competitions and flash fiction competitions.  It all helps in refining the craft.


Me: Was it always your one true dream to be an author?
 
Kit:   Not from a young child, no.  But once I discovered writing then yes, it became my dream.  And dreams do come true!


Me: What other passions do you have apart from writing?
 
Kit:  I play golf believe it or not!  I also read a great deal and enjoy baking.


Me: What's next up on your writing sleeves? Please tell us briefly about it.
 
Kit:  I will start a short story collection soon and let that develop over a couple of years probably.  I am also working on another novel but it’s too early to discuss it yet.


Me: Thanks Kit for joining me today on this interview session. I wish you luck for all your future endeavors.
 
Kit:  Many, many thanks for asking me to contribute and asking such interesting questions!  Look forward to hearing from your followers.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kit's Bio:


Kit de Waal was born in Birmingham to an Irish mother, who was a foster carer and a Caribbean father. She worked for fifteen years in criminal and family law, was a magistrate for several years and sits on adoption panels. She used to advise Social Services on the care of foster children, and has written training manuals on adoption and foster care. Her writing has received numerous awards including the Bridport Flash Fiction Prize 2014 and 2015 and the SI Leeds Literary Reader's Choice Prize 2014. My Name is Leon is her first novel. She has two children.



Connect with Kit on: WebsiteFacebookPinterest Twitter


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!