17 October 2014

Review #3: The Truth About You by Susan Lewis



My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Karl Taro Greenfeld, a Japanese author has quoted remarkably about "relationships “as:

“The harsh truth of every relationship, even between those who love each other, like fathers and sons and daughters, or husbands and wives, is that the love is always unequal.”

Susan Lewis, an English author from Bristol, has spin a wondrous tale about a simple family who are trying hard to love each other equally or more appropriately, coming into terms to live with each other with love, share and care, in her new novel, The Truth About You.


Synopsis:
Lainey Hollingsworth, married to the bestseller author, Tom Hollingsworth, is the mother of two teenagers and step-mom to one son. She is the pillar who holds her household and also taking full care of her adoptive and Dementia-stricken father. For ages she had an elusive relationship with her own mother, the reason being not letting Lainey know about the identity of her biological father, who happened to be an Italian man, and now her mother is dead, and Lainey is trying every ends to get a clue about her buried past. But as she makes the plans to have a trip to Touro, where she was born in Italy, things fell apart in her happy-to-go-household, when she receives a text which says "Ask your husband about Julia". And that leaves Lainey uncertain of her bright future with her husband. So what happens next is left for you guys to find about it!


Flawlessly written, the author has made sure that the tale will not only compel her readers but will also enlighten and make the readers overwhelm with love and joy. Problems may arise everyday in a household, but it is not important that how fast we are eliminating that problem, instead how we are dealing with that problem and that's the focus in this book. This book is only about Lainey searching for her buried past and dealing with insecurity, but also about each and every member how they were left affected by a problem which shake them momentarily. Family was the prime focus in Lewis's book, where she not only crafted her central characters tastefully with passion but also made them look like they all are flawed in their own demeanor, and that's the key which makes the characters completely believable. The plot is also filled with certain mysteries like Lainey looking for clues in Italy to find her roots and the reality behind the newly-arisen problem in her household, understanding the minds of her rebellious 16year old daughter and dealing with her21year old adoptive son, Max and these were handled so skillfully that sometimes it twisted my brain out of anticipation and that what made me gripped to the book till the very end. And thus I can gleefully conclude that the author is a brilliant story-teller.

Verdict: At some point of time, we all need to respect and understand one another in a family, even if we are dealing with our own ghosts from the past, hence read this book for sure, and find yourself feeling elated with joy at the end of the tale!

Courtesy: I'd like to take a moment to thank the author, Susan Lewis and her publicist from Random House, for sending me over a copy of her book, in return for an honest and unbiased review.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author Info:
Susan Lewis was born in 1956, in Bristol. Her father was a Welsh miner, a poet, an engineer and a thinker. Her mother was one of 13 children who, at 20, persuaded her father to spend his bonus on an engagement ring instead of a motorbike. They were a normal, happy, nuclear family, living in a spanking new council house on the outskirts of town – her mother’s pride and joy. But they were going to do better, her mother had made up her mind about that. Her father, an unabashed communist, was writing a book, she was signed up for ballet, elocution, piano and eventually a private boarding school, and her brother, (the real great love of her mother’s life) was going to succeed at everything he set his mind to. Read More

Book Purchase Links:
 
I was born in 1956, in Bristol.  My father was a Welsh miner, a poet, an engineer and a thinker.  My mother was one of 13 children who, at 20, persuaded my father to spend his bonus on an engagement ring instead of a motorbike.  We were a normal, happy, nuclear family, living in a spanking new council house on the outskirts of town – my mother’s pride and joy.  But we were going to do better, my mother had made up her mind about that.  My father, an unabashed communist, was writing a book, I was signed up for ballet, elocution, piano and eventually a private boarding school, and my brother, (the real great love of my mother’s life) was going to succeed at everything he set his mind to. - See more at: http://www.susanlewis.com/index.php/about-susan#sthash.I7AgxB7Z.dpuf
I was born in 1956, in Bristol.  My father was a Welsh miner, a poet, an engineer and a thinker.  My mother was one of 13 children who, at 20, persuaded my father to spend his bonus on an engagement ring instead of a motorbike.  We were a normal, happy, nuclear family, living in a spanking new council house on the outskirts of town – my mother’s pride and joy.  But we were going to do better, my mother had made up her mind about that.  My father, an unabashed communist, was writing a book, I was signed up for ballet, elocution, piano and eventually a private boarding school, and my brother, (the real great love of my mother’s life) was going to succeed at everything he set his mind to. - See more at: http://www.susanlewis.com/index.php/about-susan#sthash.I7AgxB7Z.dpuf
I was born in 1956, in Bristol.  My father was a Welsh miner, a poet, an engineer and a thinker.  My mother was one of 13 children who, at 20, persuaded my father to spend his bonus on an engagement ring instead of a motorbike.  We were a normal, happy, nuclear family, living in a spanking new council house on the outskirts of town – my mother’s pride and joy.  But we were going to do better, my mother had made up her mind about that.  My father, an unabashed communist, was writing a book, I was signed up for ballet, elocution, piano and eventually a private boarding school, and my brother, (the real great love of my mother’s life) was going to succeed at everything he set his mind to. - See more at: http://www.susanlewis.com/index.php/about-susan#sthash.I7AgxB7Z.dpuf

View all my reviews

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!